Saturday 22 October 2016

NERVOUS ABOUT MEETING THE PARENTS


Through the windows of SS1 Agu, I recall my dad’s brisk strides along the corridor and then his halt at the door of my classroom. I could tell he was straight from work in his white uniform, I smiled at him and introduced him to my form master. The teacher gave him a seat and then the boring ‘Open Day’ process began.

Occasionally, I would turn and watch my dad flip my books page after page.  I guess it was just a ritual that needed to be done. Soon, the teacher begins to talk to my dad and in no time they are done and the process ends. An easy process right?

However, one of the scariest seasons for me as a teacher is conferencing week or open day as it were in my schooling years. Early enough in my career, as an assistant teacher, I had an unpalatable experience during conferencing, it is still vivid in my memory. Nothing scares me in my line of work like meeting the parents to formally discuss their child.

I recall six years ago when a parent stormed into our class ready for a fight. She had her ready script and made a lot of noise in the class. I watched and listened as the teacher I was assisting was handling the situation. Things got worse and she asked to see the supervisors, she complained a lot, she practically left both of us dazed.

Were we such bad teachers? No, these things happen occasionally with unsatisfied parents and  we were simply caught  off guard by an unsuspecting parent. We had no proofs to back our argument against the child who was a homework defaulter. After that, I saw and heard more about conferencing mishaps, without giving a second thought to it, I naturally developed some kind of mini phobia for it.
However, since I realised it was inevitable for me as a teacher, I had to look for ways to develop some skills and be better prepared for the dreaded season. I would share some of the ones that I have used with profitable feedback.

It is important to note that while my method works for me, others may need to modify it. Secondly, my method is not a guarantee to leave a parent always satisfied. I do this to give parents value for their time and money whilst hoping it minimizes unpleasant reactions.

PLANNING
  •  I consciously observe the pupils from the moment they walk into my class within the first week of a new session/term and take notes. After a few weeks, I look out for development and changes and figure out an action plan. This process helps me form a near accurate picture of every child.
  •  I like to build a relationship with my pupils. Asking relevant questions work for me as I am able to understand why they do certain things that I cannot understand. Mind you, I do not pry into the private lives of the children I teach. I ask questions that help me form an impression of the child. For example, ‘Why don’t you like going to the playground?’
  •  When conferencing is approaching, I start planning. Opening every note, reading comments I had made in notes (especially Creative Writing) and check to see if progress has been/is being made. With all the information gathered, I develop a comprehensive script for every child(I am more comfortable having something to refer to than talking from my head even though I know it).

MEETING THE PARENTS/GUARDIAN
  • When I meet the parents, I greet warmly and try to make them feel relaxed before I begin.
  •  I usually start with my observations and corroborate that with the pupil’s notes/tests. When we have validated the core areas to be improved upon, I begin to proffer strategies for improvement. For parents who work closely with their children, they usually concur and are happy that you care enough to know so much about their child.  
  • I always discuss social skills with parents. If a child needs help to build certain skills or correct funny mannerisms, I let the parents know. For me, character has a huge role to play in a child’s learning process.
  •  I make sure my discussions are sincere to the best of my ability.

PARENT FEEDBACK
  •          Being observant to parents’ reactions has helped a lot. Doing so helps you plan for the next conferencing and provide more satisfaction.
  •          Be open minded.  I have realised that different parents have specific things they wish for their children. Never push aside what they say, if it can be harnessed with your class goals for the pupil, attempt it.
  •        Have them write a comment, this way, you really know what they think about the meeting.


No comments:

Post a Comment